This game originated in 1981 when a few guys started a game that used markers used for tagging trees.
War games have been around for a long time. These are used to prepare an army for battle or the beginning of a surprise attack. Since people are not able to use real guns in this game, Bob Gurnsey, Hayes Noel, Charles Gaines, and nine others decided to play this game by using markers that were used initially to tag cattle and trees.
Later on, markers were used to shoot paintballs at other players. The bullets used for each shot is a .68 caliber gelatin capsule which comes in various colors so that one team can distinguish the shots they fire from those of the opposition. Anyone that gets hit is out of the game.
Paintball has evolved and through the years and can be played in different ways. In one version of the game teams can one flag each and the other side must capture that flag to win. Another game has the same objective as the first will except there is only one flag that is situated in the center of the field and each team tries to be the first to capture the flag. The other way of winning (other than capturing the flag) would be to eliminate all of the players of the opposing team with paintball hits.
The game can be played on a small scale which is called recreational paintball. This is the original way it was played in a wooded area and can be played in an area the size of a basketball court.
If many people want to play and the field is a large area the game is called a scenario. The largest scenario ever was in 2005 on a 700-acre parcel of land and with 3,000 participants.
When a player who participates in a competition sanctioned by a governing body, that competition is called a tournament. Teams can be comprised of 3 to 10 players each. Rules during such events vary so people should check before entering the tournament.
For the safety of those who participate in these events, protective gear is required for each player. It consists of a helmet, a chest pad, gloves, and knee and elbow pads. The guns used are only allowed to fire a maximum of 300 feet per second.
Paintball is one game that is gaining ground in the sports world. According to a study done in 2005, it is ranked as the third most popular extreme game in the world. It is considered a safe sport as long as the proper equipment is used and people comply with the rules. People who are interested can sign up at the local club and join in the fun.
Paintball is Popular
Paintball is fast becoming one of the most popular games around. It has become an alternative past time from the usual athletic games being played, and it has become one of the most exciting outdoor sports in the world. Anybody can play paintball, regardless of race, sex, age and social status. It is a game for people who have a taste for competition and adventure.
The game combines two of the most popular childhood past times: tag and hide-and-seek, the objective being to capture the flag of the enemy while protecting one’s own.
Reasons for the popularity of paintball:
1. It is the team sport that enables one to remove an opponent from the game without being penalized for it. Removing one’s opponent is very much part of the game. It is the survival of the smartest and the quickest.
2. There is a strong sense of danger, not necessarily a physical one. The threat of being removed from the game makes it more exciting for the participants. But since it is only a game, the fear is not enough to make one mentally-incapacitated. With the right safety gear, no one is really in any real danger. It is all in mind.
3. All players are equal. Experience is the only basis of one’s edge over the other player. Factors such as race, gender, and age do not put one ahead of the other.
4. There is a total absence of physical contact. There is no need for a player to manhandle his opponent so that he can be eliminated from the game. One only needs to shoot the opponent, which can be done from a relatively safe distance. Very few injuries and no deaths have resulted from playing paintball.
5. There is no need to be an athlete. Playing paintball does not require extreme physical strength. The game can be played with very few physical movements.
6.No one needs to be experienced to enjoy the game. Though it matters, a lot of old-time players find themselves surprisingly eliminated by first-time participants. It is anybody’s game.
7. It is gadget-crazy. Everybody likes gadgets. Paintball requires a lot of them.
Paintball is a very stimulating and exciting sport. Playing the game gives one the chance to renew the inner child in people. It enables one to maximize his sense of adventure, without risking life and limb for that sought-after rush.